#3 The 'mint'
I approached the dimly lit kitchen with hesitance about the unique experience I was about to partake in. I was only doing this because I had no other option and time was ticking. It had to be done, and it had to be done now. There it was, sitting proudly atop the windowsill, free of any wrapper or sticker to bind it's mighty green half-sphere. It was very diminutive compared to the other household objects that sat atop that windowsill over the sink, but it stood out, a fruit among the pots and cups.
I reached out and picked the little thing up and examined it under the palm of my hand. The open halve was round, a firm skin protected the valuable part inside, and it was the color of a bright summer forest. It was dimpled on the surface and could have been compared to the color and texture of a very unripe avocado. The inside of the item I was about to consume was a whole other story. A bright, pale green gem glimmered back at me. Divided into wedges by thin white lines, they were translucent and wrinkled like a green gummy bear. I counted 12 wedges in total, one for each hour on a clock. I ran my finger over the inside surface, it felt puckered like a pair of lips. I brought it to my nose to take a whiff. At first, it was earthy, then there was a hint of something sharp and pungent wafting acrid fumes of the flavor into my sinuses. I was glad the scent was fairly subtle, and I only hoped the same for the taste.
I hesitantly raised the fruit over my mouth. I wasn't brave enough to consume any part of it totally, but I was brave enough to squeeze a dash of the vibrantly flavored juice onto my tongue. After resigning myself to this overall silly experience, I began to squeeze to get some of its juice out. It was quite firm in my grasp, and it took more strength than I thought was required for it to start giving in to the pressure I was putting on its sides. At last, a few drops dripped directly into my open mouth, like condensation collecting in a bowl.
At first, nothing. I closed my mouth and paused as the flavor of the juice settled into my taste buds, and activated them. It was worse than I expected it to be. I first got sour, which is typical for the fruit I chose to partake in, but I expected the soury-sweet like the candy and sodas it is flavored after. Instead, I got an acidic, burning taste that lasted until the juice was gone from my mouth. It tasted similar to bile after throwing up. I wrinkled my lips and nose in distaste. The fruit was great as a flavor enhancer to already existing things I would eat and drink. Sodas? great, Guacamole? even better. But to consume it plain is something I'm glad people don't typically do, for it was an uncomfortable experience.
Comments
Post a Comment