#7: Fresh
After watching the documentary-style film Fresh, I was left with a significant amount of insights and questions about the food industry and how I take part of it as a consumer, as well as learned a bit more about my level of self awareness about what I consume. It effectively uses rhetoric to show the audiences what is going on in the food industry, why it is bad, and what it being done to go against the negative aspects of it.
The purpose of the film, which goes into depth on the current state of farming and how consumerism has led to negative and harmful practices that are both negative to animals within it and the humans who consume it, was to give insight into the flaws and faults within the agricultural aspect of the food industry so that consumers are aware how much the industry practices are inhumane, cruel, and inefficient to the processes of nature. Its audience was primarily to Americans consumers, but could also apply to consumers around the world of processed foods. They chose this audience with the intention for consumers to be more aware of the practices within the industry that they consumer and how it is both unethical and inhumane, as well as alternative options and solutions that are being implemented to help combat the harmful practices. The overall tone of this documentary is meant to be expository and informative, yet sprinkled with optimism and hopefulness for the brighter parts of the film that focuses on the people and movements that are pushing away from the industry standards.
I think the part of the film that evoked the most emotion in me was towards the beginning where viewers were suddenly exposed to harmful practices. I felt shock and disgust at the way those baby chickens were being treated and handled like they were inanimate objects and not animals who are capable of pain. I was also happy to see the farmer who held practices and cared for his animals in a way that utilizes them the way nature intended. The whole film made me think of other documentaries I watched or information i read about regarding the mistreatment of animals in the food industry and the dirty practices and methods that come with processing food for general consumption. It did a wonderful job at mixing the dreary negatives and shocking mistreatment and gross practices shown on camera with the stories of more hopeful farmers or experts in agriculture who are informing and helping companies and people move towards treating animals and plants in a more natural way within food production for people.
As for my own awareness of the issues, I try to be informed and mindful of the malpractice within the food industry so I know what goes into the food I eat. When it comes to actually consuming the food, I try not to think about it. I tend to focus more on the fact that I am able to eat what is in front of me and that it tastes good or fills me up because I don't have the resources, tastes, or money to make a change to the food I eat so it is more sustainable. As someone who has been a lifelong picky eater (concerning textures mainly), it can be hard just to try to consume foods that don't make me feel grossed out and physically sick just from eating them. So I resign myself to keeping myself informed and try not to put too much money into the companies that are doing the most harm or into food that also has poor quality as well as practices. I think Fresh helped to give me further insight into the farming side as opposed to the dirty parts of the factory and processing parts of the food industry. It also gives me a better idea on what to look out for in companies on whether they commit to positive practices or not.
Comments
Post a Comment